The following is a special recipe for Milk Bones provided by Debby from Kirby the Dorkie. These Milk Bones use whole wheat flour, milk, eggs, beef stock, and a pinch of sea salt to create a tasty treat that your doggy is sure to enjoy!
Debby’s Milk Bones Recipe (makes 40 to 60 bones depending on cookie cutter size)
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 50 minutes
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup dry milk
- 1 cup of hot water
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 package beef stock or beef flavored boullion cube
- 1 egg
- In a large bowl add flour, dry milk and sea salt.
- Prepare beef stock or boullion in hot water and pour into bowl.
- Add egg.
- Thoroughly mix and place in refrigerator for about 15 minutes to chill.
- Roll dough out to 1/2 inch thick and cut with bone cutters.
- Place on lined cookie sheet. These won’t spread so they can be placed close together.
- Prick each treat with fork tines to allow steam to escape. Since these are thick this will prevent the bottom from burning before the center has cooked.
- I brushed the tops with egg white to make them shiny. This is totally optional but just look how pretty they came out!
- Bake at 325 degrees for 50 minutes. Remove to rack to cool.
Follow the insturctions above, and you will end up with a tasty treat that is crunchy on the outside but soft and chewy on the inside! For hearder treats, turn the oven off and leave the treats in for a few hours.
Leftovers should be put into an airtight bag, and can be stored in the freezer for months.
This recipe has been carefully researched and tested by Kirby the Dorkie and his furiends. It is essential to seek the advice of your Veterinarian before changing your dog’s diet or adding any ingredients to your dog’s food especially if your dog has any underlying health issues.
Debby, pawrent to Kirby the Dorkie, creates and develops recipes for dog treats and dog meals. You can find more recipes and nutritional information from “The Canine Chef Cookbook” and like Kirby the Dorkie on Facebook for more doggie fun.