7 Poisonous Flowers For Dogs

Most dog owners are aware that certain foods can be toxic to dogs. Chocolate should never be shared with pups, we all know it. A lesser-known fact is that grapes can actually be fatal to dogs.

The same is valid for plants too. There are safe plants, potentially dangerous, and dangerous and toxic plants for dogs. This can especially affect you if you have a yard or terrace, or you simply like to have plenty of flowers in your home. 

While that’s a beautiful hobby, and it even makes your living space filled with colors and life, it is crucial to know which ones could cause harm to your dog. Believe it or not, some of poisonous flowers to dogs are actually very popular and you might even have them already. 

Depending on your dog’s size, and behavior, you might have to completely get rid of these plants, or it will be more than enough to keep them away from your dog’s reach. Whatever you decide to do, make sure you teach your pup not to eat, chew or sniff for too long around your plants, and you will be on the safe side. The flower itself can’t harm your pup unless it’s chewed or swallowed. 

Let’s take a closer look at the list of flowers that are considered to be dangerous to dogs:

1. Azalea

Azalea might be one of your favorite flowers, and maybe you were planning to plant it in your garden, but if you’re owning a pup, it might not be a good idea. Ingestion of just a couple of leaves of this flower can be fatal in dogs that can cause some more benign symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, but it can also lead to coma or even death. 

2. Narcissus

Daffodils, or Narcissus flowers, are one of the earliest blooms of spring. Some put them in vases or have them in their yards, but however, at springtime they can grow pretty much everywhere. Since it’s bright yellow petals will surely attract your pup, make sure you don’t let your dog too near them. Narcissus plant is entirely poisonous, but it’s its bulb that is most toxic. Ingesting just a small piece of it can lead to vomiting, diarrhea, convulsions and drastic drops in blood pressure. 

3. Tulips

Unfortunately, tulips aren’t as innocent to our dogs as they might look. This elegant spring blossom can be safe if kept in a vase, far away from a dog’s reach, but if planted where dogs can come near, they might present a minor threat to a dog’s health. Unlike Azalea and Narcissus, ingesting a bit of Tulip won’t lead to death or other severe symptoms, however, it is still poisonous and it can result in oral irritation, excessive drooling, and nausea when swallowed. 

4. Cyclamen

Cyclamen is a common house plant that everyone knows about. But, what most people aren’t aware of, is that they contain terpenoids that are highly toxic to canines. These toxins cause a burning sensation in the mouth and can lead to vomiting, diarrhea, heart abnormalities, seizures, or even death. 

5. Amaryllis

You might have a habit of buying this beautiful flower around Easter, but it seems that you should rethink it. Or at least make sure it’s kept away from areas your dog has access to. Toxins found in Amaryllis can lead to vomiting, excessive drooling, loss of appetite, tremors and even depression.

6. Lilies

Unfortunately, lilies are also among the flowers that are found to be highly poisonous to dogs. Ingestion of only a couple of lily tubers might result in death in canines, so keeping these flowers away from your pup is a must. 

7. Butter Cup

Last but not least. Another flower whose innocent appearance might fool you. This cute flower with soft petals can be very toxic to dogs. Consumption of the flower can result in severe injury of your dog’s digestive system, but it can also lead to dermatitis.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply