It is no secret that many of us lead busy lives, which is why there are some people who prefer to live near where they work to minimize the travel time. Adding another thing to take care of can be stressful but that doesn’t always have to be the case. If you are looking for companionship, but you don’t want a roommate… consider adopting a pet.
Pets require attention and dedication, but those are nothing compared to the benefits they will bring in your life. Contrary to popular belief, not all pets are high maintenance. Here are 4 pets that are easy to take care of.
1. Betta Fish
Skip the common goldfish (which are kind of fragile and require a fairly elaborate tank and filter setup) and go for a Betta fish. Also known as fighting fish, these brilliantly colored fish with long, flowing tails are happy in a small tank with the occasional plastic plant which your fish can hide into in case he is feeling shy.
Feel free to decorate the tank and even consider adding an aquatic snail in the bowl to keep the algae at bay. If you want to buy another Betta fish, keep it in a separate bowl. They are known as ‘fighting fish’ for a reason!
Not only are betta fish are easy to take care of, but having an aquarium reduces stress too. Check out our article on health benefits on keeping an aquarium.
2. Guinea Pig
These gentle rodents are often overlooked in favor of hamsters and gerbils. Guinea pigs are actually great pets, especially if you have kids or you want a pet you can cuddle that is not too big. They rarely bite, they like to play, and they squeak in excitement whenever they see you.
They also do this thing called ‘popcorning’, where they jump up and kick their heels in the air whenever they are feeling happy (which is rather entertaining to watch).
This bird can be kept by itself and is relatively easy to care for. Keep it healthy and happy by feeding it with protein and fiber-rich food (consult a vet first!) and providing a toy or two to keep it entertained. A swing can keep your canary happy but be careful not to overstock on the toys because these can just clutter up the cage and give your canary less room to fly around. Putting some damp grass on the bottom of the cage will be good too since canaries in the wild like to roll on damp leaves or grass.
Anyone can fall for this bundle of fur with big eyes and a personality that can match yours. There are a lot of dog breeds out there so choose one that can fit your lifestyle. Do you live in a small space? Go for a small dog. Breeds like the Chihuahua, Boxer, and Labrador Retrievers are excellent and popular breed choices.
Just remember: dogs require a reasonable amount of your time. But if you devote yourself to them, you will find a companion who will be willing to lay down his life to protect you no matter what.
Pets can bring so much joy to your life. They can reduce stress, provide companionship, entertainment, and sense danger as well! You may be on the crossroads right now in choosing a pet, but remember, that furry (or not so furry) friend of yours will be with you no matter what for the next three or more years in your life.
- Bowls & Aquariums are essential for your new fish friend! Marina Betta Kit, Contemporary Theme (2L)
- Food. Because, you know, they can’t eat water: Aqueon Betta Food (0.95 oz)
- Create a custom, fun home for all your small pets! Living World Deluxe Habitat – Standard
- Food. See how far you get without it: Kaytee Forti Diet Pro Health Food for Guinea Pig (5 lbs)
- Water bottle. They need to drink out of something: Lixit Pet Wide Mouth Water Bottle (32 oz)
- Bird Cages give your bird a safe place to call their home. Opening Dome Top Bird Cage – White (22″x17″x58″)
- Food. Canaries need to eat too right? Canary Staple VME Seeds (3 lb)
- A brand new collar should be the first item on the starter kit to ensure your dog is safely returned if they get lost. Nylon Adjustable Collars
- Flea Collar. Who likes fleas? Seresto Flea Collars
- Dog Bowl. Fine dining starts with a bowl: Advance Pet Products Stainless Steel Feeding Bowls (2 Quart)
- Dog Leash. Good luck without one: Premier Pet Leash 1 x 6 ft Royal Blue
Sue Anne Reyes, loves to share not just her trips locally and abroad, but now writing anything under the heat of the sun in any walks of my life. Sue Anne, describes her writing skills as a beautiful experience to share with everyone how nice this world is. She is now writing for e-Rockwell. By letting herself write, capture and share the best things this wonderful planet can offer.
Enjoy the article? Subscribe to EntirelyPets to stay up to date on everything pet related!